The TD Discovery Series Special Projects, created by Toronto Downtown Jazz (TDJ) with the support of TD, encourages the creation, development and presentation of special projects by jazz musicians in the City of Toronto. Through a juried process, successful applicants are awarded a bursary and obtain marketing and public relations support from TDJ.
Why Special Projects
The city of Toronto features one of the most vibrant jazz communities in North America. With the Special Projects initiative, Toronto Downtown Jazz provides support for the outstanding jazz musicians who work and live in Toronto, while at the same time establishing a year-round presence on Toronto’s jazz scene.
Congratulations to the 2020 Special Projects!
The following four projects were chosen for support as part of the 2020 TD Discovery Series Special Project initiative:
- The Dennis Kwok Jazz Orchestra CD Release and World Premiere -
March 29, 2020 at 918 Bathurst- POSTPONED
- Donnybrook featuring Ian Hendrickson-Smith -
April 4, 2020 at The Rex Hotel- POSTPONED
- See Through 4 CD Release - April 17, 2020 at ArraySpace
- The Thieves of Dreams - April 26, 2020 at 918 Bathurst
2020 Special Projects were selected by a panel of local music specialists:
- Colin Story, a musician and writer who regularly contributes to The WholeNote, at which he writes a monthly column, album reviews, and feature pieces
- Steven Taetz, Music Manager at Harbourfront Centre, presenting music festivals, series, and events year-round, and also a pop-jazz-swing singer and songwriter
- Gili Zemer, owner and director of multi-purpose venue Geary Lane, and a percussionist with the Brazilian fusion group Samba Squad
For more information about TDJ Special Projects, please contact Artistic Director Josh Grossman at (416) 928-2033 ext. 27 or [email protected].
To see a list of past years' Special Projects, click here.