The TD Discovery Series Special Projects, created by Toronto Downtown Jazz (TDJ) with the support of TD, encourages the creation, development and presentation of special projects by jazz musicians in the City of Toronto. Through a juried process, successful applicants are awarded a bursary and obtain marketing and public relations support from TDJ.
Why Special Projects
The city of Toronto features one of the most vibrant jazz communities in North America. With the Special Projects initiative, Toronto Downtown Jazz provides support for the outstanding jazz musicians who work and live in Toronto, while at the same time establishing a year-round presence on Toronto’s jazz scene.
Congratulations to the 2018 Special Projects!
The following four projects were chosen for support as part of the 2018 TD Discovery Series Special Project initiative:
- Harley Card's Sunset Ensemble - March 1, 2018 at Lula Lounge
- The Heavyweights Brass Band This City CD release - March 29, 2018 at Lula Lounge
- Adrean Farrugia/Joel Frahm BLUED DHARMA CD release - April 27, 2018 at Gallery 345
- The Smith Sessions Presents: Bitches Brew - April 28, 2018 at the Canadian Music Centre's Chalmers Performance Space
2018 Special Projects were selected by a panel of local music specialists:
- Amirali Alibhai, Head of Performing Arts, Aga Khan Museum
- Vivian Barclay, General Manager, Warner Chappell Music Canada Ltd.
- Nick Fraser, acclaimed drummer and previous Special Projects recipient
- Daniela Nardi, Executive and Artistic Director, 918 Bathurst
For more information about TDJ Special Projects, please contact Artistic Director Josh Grossman at (416) 928-2033 ext. 27 or [email protected].
To see a list of past years' Special Projects, click here.